Right to work information


Do I have the right to work in the UK?

You may need a visa to visit, study or work in the UK. Check if you need a visa here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa.


I have been invited to an interview with the National Oceanography Centre (NOC). Why have I been asked to bring documentation showing my right to work in the UK?

We are required by law to check applicants’ right to work in the UK. It is important that we do this before we make a formal offer to a suitable candidate. We therefore ask candidates to bring this documentation with them to their interview so that we can take a copy.

For successful candidates the copy will be saved on their staff record. For those candidates who are unsuccessful that copy will be destroyed.

It is also worth noting that we will ask any successful applicants to complete pre-employment screening. As part of this screening further right to work checks will be carried out.


What if I am not attending an interview face to face?

In most cases we will ask candidates to attend a face to face interview before a formal offer is made. If this is not possible we will make an offer conditional upon right to work checks being completed.


I don’t currently have the right to work in the UK. Can I still apply for a position at the NOC?

For certain vacancies the NOC may be able to sponsor applicants using our Immigration Licence. Our adverts will normally make it clear where this might be possible. If you are offered a position at the NOC and intend to apply for a Tier 2 visa we will support you through this process.

You can find more information on Tier 2 visas on the Home Office website: https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general.


Will the UK’s exit from the EU affect my ability to work at the NOC?

If you are an EU, EAA or Swiss citizen living in the UK you may need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living here. You can find more information on the Home Office website: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families.


Further help and guidance:

Further help and guidance can be found on the Home Office website: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration.